Todd County Facebook PageCode Red Signup for notifications

You are here

Name History

PrintPrintEmail PageEmail Page

How did the Townships get their names?

 

This information, about how the townships were named, was submitted by one of the volunteers participating in the Todd County "Building a Sense of Place" project.


BARTLETT: 1861, named after Ira Bartlett, one of the first settlers of the county who settled here.

BERTHA: 1878, named for Bertha Ristau, the first while women to settle in the area.

BIRCHDALE: 1869, named for the birch trees abundant in that area.

BRUCE: 1897, named by a Scottish settler to honor the hero of Scotland.

BURLEENE: 1888, a misspelling of Germany’s Berlin, the homeland of Joseph and John Steidl, immigrants who suggested using the name. The town clerk spelled it as the Steidls pronounced it.

BURNHAMVILLE: 1870, named after David Burnham who fought in the Civil War and moved from his native Maine to settle in Todd County.

FAWN LAKE: 1881, is named after a fawn emerging from the water.

EAGLE VALLEY: 1880, named after Eagle Creek (named for an eagle).

GERMANIA: 1986, organized in 1880. John Paul Steinbach suggested using the name of the ship that carried his parents across the Atlantic.

GORDON: 1869, named after James Gordon who settled near Lake Osakis in the late 1850’s.

GREY EAGLE: 1873, both the township and city named by Alvin M. Cromwell who killed a large eagle in that area.

HARTFORD: 1867, named for Hartford, Connecticut by settlers from New England.

IONA: 1881, originally named Odessa after the Russian Black Seaport.

KANDOTA: 1870, takes its name from the Indian word meaning “Here we rest”.

LESLIE: 1876, named for settler John B. Leslie.

LITTLE ELK: 1867, named after Little Elk stream.

LITTLE SAUK: 1881, named after Little Sauk stream.

LONG PRAIRIE: 1867, also named for the rolling prairie grasslands.

MORAN:1877, most likely named for lumber man John Moran who settled there.

REYNOLDS:1871, named to honor a Civil War general from Michigan under whom several Todd County settlers had served.

ROUND PRAIRIE:1868, named for the rolling prairie grasslands.

STAPLES:1882, Klng G. Staples hosted the first town meeting in 1881 and was elected the first town clerk.

STOWE PRAIRIE: 1877, named after James, Amos and Isaac Stowe; brothers who were early settlers.

TURTLE CREEK: 1880, was named for the Turtle Creek stream.

VILLARD: 1882, named for Henry Villard, president of the Northern Pacific Railroad.

WARD: 1867, named after and by John Wait

WEST UNION: 1867, named by settlers after West Union in the state of Iowa.

WYKEHAM: originally called Eden Township from 1872-1880.

 

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer