The Todd County Board of Commissioners has accepted a grant in the amount of $40,000 from the Blandin Foundation and $20,000 from Arvig Communications to perform a feasability study to provide a Fiber to the Home network to every home and business in Todd County.
The feasability study, to be performed by U-reka Broadband of Stillwater, MN will help determine the needs of the County for infrastructure, identify potential users, and outline an implementation plan ands costs associated with such a network.
- What is Fiberband? Fiberband is our name for our planning initiative intended to bring the highest speed internet access to the Todd County Community.
- Why is Fiberband important?
- Businesses and agriculture operators need access to the highest speed broadband internet services to remain competitive; the economy is quickly becoming more global. Todd County businesses can gain a competitive edge and the Todd County Community will have a greater opportunity to bring good, stable jobs to the area when Fiberband is successfully deployed.
- Educational institutions will have the opportunity to use more online learning tools, and individuals will have greater opportunities to access higher education opportunities. Many educational institutions are realizing the benefits of an “on-demand” learning option, but since the Todd County Community lacks access, we are unable to get these benefits.
- Fiberband will likely keep your money in the community instead of sending it to a service provider who will keep it as profit, or invest it in another community.
- Connecting with your family if they live outside of the County will become much easier with a Fiberband network! Get pictures of grandkids and even learn to video chat on your computer! The Todd County Senior Services Healthy Communities partnership can help you learn!
Will Fiberband be more affordable? One of the keys to the Fiberband initiative is that the service will be provided at a reasonable price. At this time, no pricing plan is available, but we need your support to complete the study necessary to learn whether or not it is possible