Birth, Death & Marriage Certificate Application
If you are interested in obtaining a certified birth, death or marriage certificate you must complete an application (located on Recorder's main page – right hand side under Applications & Forms) and be able to show tangible interest in the certificate you are requesting (for birth & death). There are a couple of ways you can obtain the certificates other than in person. Applications for a Marriage Certificate need not be signed or notarized.
Non-rush orders: (through the mail):
Complete the entire application form, sign it in front of notary public (if required), send the application and appropriate money to our office:
Todd County Recorder
215 1st Avenue South Suite 203
Long Prairie MN 56347
We try to send the out the certificates the same day we receive the application.
Faxed or Rush Orders (credit card orders - additional fee of $7.00):
Complete the entire application form, sign in front of a notary public, on the lower portion of the application you need to complete your credit card information, fax the application to our office: 320-732-4001.
We process your application as soon as we get the faxed application and send out the certificate(s) in that days mail to the address shown. If there are problems or questions – we contact you if you’ve given us your phone number. For even faster return service we can return through “Federal Express” for an additional $17.50 fee. If you should choose this faster service – you can write “Federal Express Order” on the application, which authorizes us to add the additional fee to your credit card.
Fees Birth Certificates: $26.00 1st certificate, $19.00 each-additional certs. (same certificate/same request)
Death Certificates: $13.00 1st certificate, $6.00 each-additional certs. (same certificate/same request)
Marriage Certificates: $9.00 each certificate
Other Information: If you (with a tangible interest) want someone (without a tangible interest) to obtain the birth or death certificate(s) for you, you must provide that individual with a letter authorizing him/her to get the certificate(s). Your signature must be notarized. The individual then must complete an application, present your letter of authorization and pay the fee.
If you are a firm/individual that is unable to find someone with a tangible interest to complete the application; you can complete the form, check box #6, include some kind of documentation as to why the certificate(s) is/are needed and include the appropriate money. These orders must be approved by the MN Dept. of Health before we can process that application.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Todd County Recorder’s Office at 320-732-4428 and we will be happy to assist if possible.
www.moms.mn.gov is the website address for a statewide marriage search. That site will tell you what county to contact for a specific marriage certificate and assist you in ordering one.
Marriage License Application Information
An application for a Marriage License can be obtained from this office during the hours of 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM (after 4:00 by appointment only). A license can be purchased in any county within MN and be used within any county in MN. An application form can be found on the Recorders WebPage. Both the applicants must apply.
Additional information for application:
- Please print clearly using a black pen.
- Please remember social security numbers for both applicants.
- Previous marriage information:
a. Provide complete date (mm/dd/yyyy) of divorce or death.
b. County and state for divorce or death.
c. Type of court for divorce (i.e. District or Circuit)
d. Previous married names are required for applicants.
- In the "after Marriage" field in the middle of the form; complete your names after marriage, as you want them to legally read. This is a legal name change of your first, middle & last names and suffix if applicable (i.e. Jr., Sr., II, etc).
- Licenses are valid for six (6) months from the date of issuance and maybe used throughout MN.
- Upon receipt of your license, please be sure to read them carefully to check for any spelling error of names, addresses, etc. Changes requested after marriage might require a court order to change.
- Fee = $115.00 effective July 11, 2005 - there are no REFUNDS.
- Effective July 11, 2005 MN allows for a reduced marriage license fee of $40.00. Subject to ALL of the following requirements:
a. The applicants have received at least 12 hours of pre-martial counseling or education, &
b. Provide an "Educator's Statement" according to MS 517.08 Subd (1b) at the time the application is made, (Format of form outlined in statute or is available from the Recorder's Office) and
c. Complete names of the applicant's (before marriage) must be identical to the legal names provided on the marriage license application.
- There is a required 5-day waiting period from the date of application. Applicants, who are unable to comply, can appeal to Judge for a 5-days waiver. Additional fee of $20.00.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and not under guardianship or conservatorship. If applicants are between the ages of 16-18, parents must seek Judge Approval for a minor to marry. Additional fee of $20.00
- Licenses are issued from the Government Center/Recorder's Office location only, which is open Monday thru Friday (except legal holidays) from 8:00am-4: 00pm. After 4:00 by appointment only.
The application for a marriage license can be found on the Recorder's Applications & Forms page. You can print the application out & complete it BUT do not sign it until you bring it into the office. MN Statute requires that both of the applicant’s must apply; We expect both parties to be present to purchase the license, but if that is not possible - we ask that you contact this office for possible options. We accept application for marriages between 8:00 - 4:00. Appointments can be make for applications after 4:00 if need be.
Certified Certificate of Marriage: If you purchased your marriage license from Todd County and are looking to obtain a certified copy of the marriage certificate - please send us a letter requesting. We will need the names of the couple's pre-marriage names and date of marriage. There is a $9.00 fee required per certificate ordered. Send your request to:
|Todd County Recorder|
215 First Avenue South
Long Prairie, MN 56347
If you are unsure whether the license was purchased in Todd County, feel free to contact us and we can check.