Todd County Facebook PageCode Red Signup for notifications

You are here

National Register of Historic Sites

PrintPrintEmail PageEmail Page

Many of Todd County’s historical buildings are listed on the National register of Historic Places.
They include:
The Bank of Long Prairie, also known as Michael’s Cafe, was added in 1985;
Christ the King Catholic Church, 1985, also known as St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Browerville;
Germania Hall, County Highway 11 north of Clarissa, 1995;
Grey Eagle Village Hall, 1985;
Hotel Reichert, Long Prairie, 1985;
Kahlert Mercantile Store, also known as Cole Graphics, 1985, Browerville;
Northern Pacific Railway Depot and Freighthouse, 1985, Staples;
St. Cloud and Red River Valley Stage Road, Kandota Section, 1991;
Todd County Courthouse, 1985, Long Prairie.

 

Historic Courthouse

The Historic Courthouse
The main front of the building is toward the north. Plainly set in the solid brick walls, high above the entrance are the figures “1883”, to tell coming generations the year it was erected.
There were 400,000 bricks used in the building, hauled from Clarissa by team at 800 bricks per load.
Over 100 cords of stone were used in the foundation which is four feet wide at the bottom and sunk deep. the entire cost of the building will be less than $25,000.
The courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic courthouse contained all of the county offices, the museum and the upper level was the courtroom. The old two-story jail that sat upon the hill, also on the National Register, was demolished.
Over the years, many changes have taken place within the courthouse. It is nearly surrounded by additions, as other buildings have been added to the government complex. Many of the county offices have been moved. Annex 1 now contains the Veteran’s Service Office, Extension, Public Health and Social Services. Extending a second floor to the building provided additional space for Social Services, the county attorney, technology department and a commissioners’ meeting room.
A new detention center (jail) was built on the east side of the courthouse. A second floor was added in 1996. It houses the court administration, two courtrooms, judges chambers and the offices of the county’s auditor/treasurer, recorder and assessor.
The historic courthouse wasn’t vacant long. Planning & Zoning, Geographical Information Systems, and the County Coordinator / Personnel Director have their offices on the main floor. The upper level contains Hands of Hope and the Victims Resource Center. The old courtroom is occasionally used when a third judge is holding cases in the county.
 

Veterans Monument

The Veterans Monument
Directly in front of the historic courthouse is a monument dedicated to the memory of the soldiers and sailors who died in the service of their country. In 1918 William E. Lee approached the county commissioners and offered to build the monument at his own personal expense. The specifications were drawn up by Clarence H. Johnston, architect; and the sculpture was done by John K. Daniels, St. Paul.
The monument now lists those from Todd County who gave their lives for our country in World War 1, World War II, Korea and Vietnam.
 

 

The Christie House

The Christie House Museum
The home was built in 1901 by Dr. George Christie and his wife, Susan. It was designed by C.W. Smith, a Long Prairie architect. The house is in the Queen Anne style, an eclectic design which selected portions of the style we call Classic Colonial and portions of the design elements of Victorian Gothic. The majority of the original furnishings are stilt in the home.
Thanks to its board of directors and many volunteers, the Christie House Museum has become a great tourist attraction.
 

 

The George H. Williams Memorial

The George H. Williams
Memorial

In 1998 the Todd County Law Enforcement helped dedicate a monument that is located just off U.S. Highway 71 and Riverside Drive in Long Prairie. The monument is in memory of Long Prairie Police Chief George H. Williams. He was killed in a shoot-out on the bridge with gangsters who had robbed the bank in Hewitt.
 

Mosquito Park

“Mosquito Park”
Another of the county’s Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects was what became known as Mosquito Park. It is located alongside Riverside Drive in Long Prairie (just behind the municipal liquor store). Numerous stone foundations, and the mosquitoes, are about all that remain today.
 

 

 

 

Kahlert Mercantile Store

Kahlert Mercantile Store
The wood frame building on the corner of Main Street (also U.S.Highway 71) and old County Road 21 in Browerville is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built somewhere between 1875-1899.
Formerly known as Kahlert Mercantile Store, the building now houses Cole Graphicz, a computer store.
 

 

 

 

Christ the King Catholic Church

Christ the King Catholic Church

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. With its unique “onion” towers, Christ the King Catholic Church, earlier known as St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, on Browerville’s main street is one of the most beautiful Catholic churches to be found anywhere! It was built by German and Polish immigrants of the area. The two nationalities had a dispute over money; leading to the German families building their own church, St. Peters’s Catholic Church, a few blocks east of the “Polish church”. As the numbers of parishioners dwindled, the two congregations once more joined together as Christ the King. St. Peter’s was demolished and its parochial school became what is presently known as the Thread Shed I.

 

Grey Eagle Village Hall

Grey Eagle City Hall

The present Grey Eagle City Hall is another WPA project. It has served as home to a number of businesses before becoming the city hall. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

 

 

 

 

 

Germania Town Hall

Germania Town Hall

Five miles north of Clarissa on County Road 11 The Germania Town Hall was built in 1917 when a group of young farmers who had organized a coronet band raised enough money to build a one-story dance hall. An architect from Clarissa designed and oversaw construction of the building that was built on land owned by the band’s tuba player, Sigvard Bjerken. Many dances and other social events were held there.
In 1996, the Germania Town Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Sites.
The Germania Town Hall is still used for occasional dances, parties and even as a large family’s hunting headquarters.
 

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer