Where are the Museums?
The Hewitt Museum is located in the city’s former school house, a magnificent building. In about 1910, an unknown contractor implemented plans to build School District 103. Workmen with horses pulled up buckets of cement to pour four solid walls. Round windows were installed and thin plaster, troweled smooth — all for $10,000! The Hewitt School District consolidated with the neighboring Bertha district. Some of the elementary grades continued to use the building until 1980. Shortly afterwards, the building was given to the city of Hewitt. A museum became a reality and began to occupy the building. Each room features a special exhibit such as a schoolroom, a kitchen, a church, etc..
The museum is open from Memorial weekend to Labor Day weekend on Saturdays and Sundays from 1 - 5 PM or by appointment by calling either Bob Aldrich at 218-924-2303 or Dawn Simpson at 218-924-4546.
In the Spring each year, 7th graders at the Bertha-Hewitt School are invited to write an essay about some object in the museum whether they know what it is or not. A cash prize is offered for the best essay and some essays are printed in the local newspaper.
The Clarissa Museum is one of the newest museums in Todd County. It is located on Clarissa’s main street and contains much of the early history of the community.
Eagle Bend Museum / Library
Eagle Bend Museum/Library
127 East Main Street
The building housing the Eagle Bend Museum/Library held its grand opening on May 25, 1989. One side of the 42x74 foot building contains the museum. No walls separate it from the Eagle Bend Public Library, a branch of the Great River Regional Library system. The building was
erected with money raised after three years of fundraisers, donations from former and present residents; and built by all-volunteer labor.
Eagle Bend’s museum contains hundreds of artifacts. There are copies of the Eagle Bend News from 1952 to the present, (the newspaper building had burned, destroying all of the papers from previous years). One of the most interesting items is a gavel made from an old school desk that was given to then- Senator Hubert H. Humphrey. He used it to convene the United States Senate and later returned it to the museum.
A collection of plates from all of the states is displayed; as well as a presidential quilt from Washington to (the first) George Bush that was embroidered by local ladies
Hours -Contact Carol W. Becker at 218-738-3852.
The Bertha Museum is located on the corner of County 24 and Bertha’s main street. It occupies the 1904 bank building that was deeded to the city when the bank moved to a different location. Among the artifacts are records from the old Bertha hospital, bound copies of the Bertha Herald, stories about the noted Negro baseball player, John Davidson, who played for the Bertha team; and mementos of the early history of its residents and the city of Bertha.
The Bertha Museum is open Memorial weekend throu the 2nd Sunday in September on Fridays from 7 PM to 9:30 PM. It is also open the 2nd Sunday of the month from 1:30 PM to 5 PM.
Contact Laura Foster at 218-924-4095 for more information.
Todd County Historical Society Museum in Long Prairie, MN
The museum is located in historic downtown Long Prairie at 333 Central Ave. The building is located on the site of the former Winnebago Indian Agency in Long Prairie. The museum serves as a research and learning center for those wishing to know more about the county's past. Also, visit the unique gift shop.
Hours are Wednesday 11:30 am to 6:00 PM, Thursday & Friday 11:30 AM to 4:00 PM and Saturdays by appointment. (320) 732-4426
Admission: Adults $3 Children $1
Historical Members - Admission Free
Curator: De Eberle
Tours by appointment; for information call (320) 732.4426.
Staples Historical Society Museum
On Hwy 10 and 210, the Staples Museum is open weekends from Spring through Fall on Saturdays from 9 AM - 5 PM and Sundays from 1 - 4 PM. Contact Bernie St. Pierre at (218) 894-2836 or Mike Blessing at (218) 894-2337
Christie House Museum, Long Prairie
CHRISTIE HOUSE MUSEUM. Located on Central Ave and 1st Street South in Long Prairie. The home was built in 1901 by Dr. George Christie and his wife Susan. The house is in the Queen Anne style. Special features of the interior of the house are beautiful stained glass windows, Tiffany globes, hard maple floors, prism cut plate glass in window lights, collection of 1550 books. The house is nostalgic and interesting to townspeople and traveler, a solid reminders of a vanishing era. It is open Memorial Day through Labor Day. Tours are available Wed-Sun 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM.